Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Improving Games for Better Power Glove Compatibity ~ Super Mario Bros.

Recently I had the idea to make games more compatible with the NES Power Glove, for better or for worse. I was binge watching Gaming Historian videos (You should definitely check out his videos. I rarely watch Youtube in general much these days unfortunately due to time, and when I do, it is almost always a binge-watching session) and I was upset that Novac's games weren't released as Power glove exclusive titles. I soon raised the same point on Twitter soon after with the idea to make games work better using the device. 

 Super Mario Bros. is the first test subject and it works. Well, at least without completely rewriting the physics engine (I could do it but it wouldn't work on hardware without a flashcart due to requiring ore than 3 bytes to change, and who has the time?) So, I came up with a solution to make Mario controllable anywhere using the A button, or if you're using the Power Glove, make a fist and release to drop Mario. Mario's Y position is controlled by the Power Glove's internal setting for each game it is supposedly supporting backwards-compatible control.
















Original twitter posts:


Conclusion: The proof-of-concept works but there is a potentially problematic limitation as a direct result of conflicting with the climbing physics routine and you will become stuck when entering a new screen from a vine climbing upwards. Using two byte changes, this is a really a remarkable fleet considering I did it in 8:12 minutes. 

Unfortunately I do not have an NES Power Glove in my posession to do further testing and codes. This is all based on limited experience with how the Power Glove operates and understanding how it interfaces and reacts to physics in theory. A later revision may be a workaround for fixing the climbing issues as well as making Mario's speed controllable.

No comments: